Sunday, September 5, 2010

EC weekend - Day 2

Today is EC weekend Day 2. Results:
- caught - 0.5 pee
- missed - all others
- diapers saved - 1

I thought I had gained some insights into his elimination schedule yesterday. Boy was I wrong! He did everything different today!

His first poo after breakfast was not until an hour after his breakfast. I sat him on the potty 15 min after the breakfast - nothing. Not even pee. After he pooed (didn't see any cues at all), he peed every 10 min 3 times. We showed him the poo/pee as usual, and flushed them down the toilet.

He ate lunch early (seemed hungry) and was wearing a diaper loosely afterwards. I kept checking his diaper every 5 min and didn't see anything until his nap. There was a small ball of poo in the diaper that I didn't see. So I have no idea when he did that. He didn't squat and I didn't see any cues.

He 3rd poo after dinner happened about 5 min after I took him off the potty. He had been sitting there for 10 min and nothing - no pee nor poo. We showed him the poo and flushed them down the toilet. He then peed twice at random times after the poo. One time we caught it in time we got half a pee in the potty.

It's a bit discouraging. I thought I would have made a little progress after yesterday. I didn't catch anything today! Oh well! At least 1 saved 1 diaper from the landfill today. There is still tomorrow. Tomorrow he is going bare-bum for sure after all his meals. I need to get a better handle on his cues for poos!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lovenicky, thanks for visiting my blog.

    I can't remember how long it took with the poos, at least a couple of weeks. My daughter would poo first thing in the morning, so I had to get out of bed and run to the potty as soon as she was awake. At first she would have already started by the time we got there, but eventually she learned to wait. If for some reason she doesn't do her poo in the morning, then I would watch her closely after breakfast or until she does one.

    With the pees, I never set a goal to catch all of them, because it seemed unrealistic. I can't pick the signals (not until she is already doing it) and I don't get the intuitive feeling that she has to go, so all I can do is rely on timing and there can't be a fixed schedule for pees. I was trying to get her to do at least one a day just so that she can retain her awareness, until I went to visit my parents in Bulgaria. It was so hot there that putting nappies on my child just didn't seem like a nice thing to do and that's where I stepped it up. The nearly perfect run with one accident didn't happen until I was more than a month into it and I didn't start as an absolute novice. I still cannot get her to do any pees outside in the grass or in unknown toilet.

    Then there are also the toddler independence issues. Sometimes my daughter would just have to have everything her way including peeing next to the potty 5 seconds after she got off it and did nothing. The more frustrated I get about it, the more she'll keep on doing it just to get a reaction out of me.

    If it frustrates you too much, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you do it part-time, for as long as you are comfortable with each day, you'll still make progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellie.

    When my son was in diapers full time (before this EC weekend), his poo was very regular and at the same time every day. I thought it would be easy to catch his poo but boy was I wrong! It just seems that my son is actually aware of his need to poo, but he just doesn't want to do it in the potty. He would wait till the diaper is on before he does it. I don't know how to 'untrain' him to poo in his diaper!

    ReplyDelete