Saturday, January 28, 2012

Too-short tees into a wearable tee refashion

I have a number of these long sleeves tees in various colours that I find too short to wear now. They have been sitting in my closet for a few years. I thought I could just combine them and make them into wearable tees.

This is the original tee in black (sorry I'm wearing PJ pants that I made). The purple one is identical and has already been cut up to make leggings for my baby girl.

Steps:
1. I wanted to have a cowl neck so I drew with chalk where I wanted the eventual neckline to be. I measured the whole circumference of the neckline.2. Cut the purple tee 3 inches from the hem to be attached to the black tee to lengthen it (bottom). Then cut out the cowl neck material (middle). 3. Measure the sleeve opening and cut out some material to length the sleeves.

4. Sew the purple hem material to the hem of the black tee.

5. Sew the purple cowl material into a round and then fold it in half. Sew it onto the marked neckline on the black tee using a zig-zag stitch.

6. Sew the purple sleeve band into a round and then fold it in half. Attached it to the bottom of the sleeves of the black tee.And here is the new tee! Another easy peasy refashion.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea! Now I can use all those shirts :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! I have tonnes of these boring unwearable shirts that of my own or have inherited from my hubby. I look forward to seeing your refashions for your shirts.

      Delete
  2. Okay, that is so darned clever. I've thought of that for my kids, but never thought to do it for myself and I have a ton of tees that seem to have shrunk "up". Thanks for sharing this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! For some reason these tees always shrink a lot in the length. If I was younger I might not mind showing my tummy. But certainly not after giving birth to 2 kids! :-)

      Delete