Monday, July 1, 2013

Pattern Review: Simplicity 3742 dress

Yes another easy peasy summer dress. I used a very pretty cotton voile in my stash to make a modified View B. Basically I ignored the pattern pieces for the front and back facings. Instead, I made self fabric linings for the front bust and back areas in case I needed to wear the dress sans bra. I also didn't do the elastic/front tie. Instead I just inserted a full elastic into the seam allowance/channel.

It's very light and breezy to wear but as with all cotton fabrics, the elastic gathers under the bust created a bit of a puff-out effect and made me look a bit pregnant. I have to wear a belt under the bust to reduce the puffiness. I like wearing it with my trusty black cardi anyway so it's not really a problem.

Conclusion: A very easy and quick to sew dress. More suited to flowy, non-cotton fabrics. If you are looking to make a very quick summer dress, this could be the one for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment