Sunday, January 19, 2014

Refashion: Slip dress to DIY Wedding Dress

It seems that my current obsession with making wedding dresses is not going away any time soon. I think it's one of these milestones that we sewists have - jackets, fitted shirts, pants, jeans, swimwear, panties, bras, special occasion dress and then there is the Wedding Dress! What a wonderful opportunity it is for a bride to be able to make their own wedding dresses for their big day?

To fulfill my obsession, I decided to make a simple wedding dress first. A refashion would be quicker I thought.  I looked through my wardrobe and found these two cute white bias slip dresses from more than 10 years ago. I bought it in a rush for a friend's wedding. I had just come back from Europe and didn't have all my sewing stuff with me to make a dress. I just went to a nice boutique close to my office and bought these 2 slips dresses. They were on the clearance rack and fit me fine so I bought them. I think I got both of them for $30. I wore them to a couple of weddings and a formal bridal shower with different colour cardigans. Then I didn't look at them again for 10 years.


The top dress is made with a nice translucent tonal floral polyester material. The under dress is a just a white crinkle polyester satin. Slip dresses were all the rage in the late 1990s and early 2000s. They are not so popular now but I still like them. I personally like simple wedding dresses and I thought I could dress them up a bit to make them more wedding appropriate.


I dug through my fabric and notions stash and found this lovely lace trim. I actually forgot that I had them. I bought a lot of trims/ribbons when a local fabric store closed down a few years back. I had just enough of this trim to embellish my slip dress.


I basically just sewed the trim straight onto the neck edge with a straight stitch on my sewing machine. The whole Refashioning process took 30 min. With the right accessories, shoes, and hair, I think this would make a lovely dress for a bride who loves simple, romantic dresses. If I were to get married now, I would love to wear something like this for a romantic summer wedding.


I can also wear it off the shoulders like this:


This little project has really whet my appetite. It was so much fun! I think I'll make more Wedding Dresses later this year. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment