Sunday, April 5, 2015

Copycat Strapless peplum gown for MAGAM done!

I have had so much fun making this dress. I love sewing with knits! This mystery cheapy bin knit that I bought years ago has a good 4 way stretch (about 20% each way) and it's slightly textured (more for sportswear I think). It is a great knit for something like leggings. However for a long tube gown, it's a bit heavy and I probably will have to keep pulling it up if the dress if not pinned to my strapless bra (thank goodness for safety pins! ;-).

I used Simplicity 8764 before so I didn't look at the instructions much. I had already tweaked the pattern to my body so everything seemed straight forward enough. I made the long tube dress first (with no peplum), and moved the centre back slit to the left side. I felt that a side seam would make it easier to walk around and it would be nice to show a little bit of the leg. I added a slip from under the bust to just above the side slit, with a nude slip that I thrifted at my local thrift store last year.



After I have sewn the plain tube dress to my satisfaction, I drafted the peplum. Most websites suggested drafting the peplum into a full circle. I thought it would be too frilly for me so I made it into 3 quarters of a circle. In hindsight, a full circle would have looked better I think. I sewed the peplum end to end, then sewed the top of the peplum to a ring of narrow elastic. This allows me to position this detachable peplum to wherever I felt best. And best of all, if peplums are out of fashion next year, I can just wear this tube dress without the peplum (I like flexibility and versatility in all my garment creations).

I have learned much from making this dress. I had been avoiding the peplum thinking that it would make me look more stumpy but I think I was wrong. This peplum covered my mommy tummy well enough and I didn't look too stumpy. I guess I will try to make more garments with detachable peplums from now on!

I am quite satisfied with this attempt of the strapless peplum gown. Now I feel more confident in making my friend's strapless peplum gown!

You can see my Review for this Pattern on PatternReview.com.

4 comments:

  1. Hubba hubba-that looks awesome!! Make the hubby take you somewhere fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tami! Unfortunately I have nowhere to go that requires fancy gowns. When my daughter saw me with this dress on, she thought I made a 'princess dress' to play dress up with her! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Looks great - I'm sure you will work out how to anchor it, and when you get tired of it, there is enough fabric to reuse. I've wondered about peplums - like you , I've tended to avoid them. Looks like the yellow dress will be next on the sewing list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz for your comment! I am no good with floor length dresses. I almost fell over numerous times while taking a photo of myself in the dress! I think I may just cut it into a knee length dress. I have no fancy places to go to so I really don't need any floor length gowns.

      Delete