Saturday, July 18, 2015

Another Swimsuit - Kwik Sew 3503

I got this floral swimsuit fabric in my stash for a while. I bought it before I made my first ever swimsuit (see here). The large floral pattern is a bit loud for me. However, it was in the cheapy bin and I thought it would be a great fabric for swimsuit muslins. I also had Kwik Sew 3505 in my stash. I bought it when I also bought Kwik Sew 2906, which I made 2 swimsuits with (see here and here).

I got restless and decided to make another swimsuit for myself. This material stretches more than the solid colour lycra fabric that I have. I first made size Medium but then after trying it on, I had to ripped the seams apart and resize it to XS! Even then I think I should have made it even smaller than XS because once the suit is in the water, it will stretch out even more.

I added straps to suit because I wanted the suit to be secure. I'm actually using this for swimming - not just posing out of water! LOL! I decided to be 'crafty' and crossed the ties at the back and then tie it in the front just under the bust. I don't know if this is going to make the suit more secure. I'll have to swim in it to see how it works. If it is too cumbersome then I'll just sew the straps down at the back of the suit.

This is how the suit looks on me:


I'm not in love with it. I think the loud floral make me look bigger. But I'm glad that I have made a  muslin from this pattern. I think one can make many design adjustments to this suit to suit their needs (e.g. adding straps, colour-blocking, etc). I'm certainly going to make this again in a not-so-loud fabric.

My Pattern Review can be found here.

6 comments:

  1. Great swimsuit! I think it looks great on. The fabric is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I think one of the good thing about the loud floral pattern is that it somewhat obscures the bulging lower abdomen (from the front only). I'm still going to make another one in a different less-loud fabric! Good sewing pattern for sure!

      Delete
  2. It's lovely - and I love the crossed straps across the back. And I don't think the fabric makes you look bigger at all. I do think you are game making your own swimsuit though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! After I made my first swimsuit I just felt like making more and more! ;-) The RTW swimsuits never fit me properly and they were never fully lined (front and back). I want to try making all the different styles that I like! I am definitely never buying another RTW suit again!

      Delete
  3. It's adorable and the fabric is so lovely. Making a swimsuits is scary and not an easy job to do. You did a lovely work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hana Velvet Ribbon! I used to think making a swimsuit was scary until I made my first one. It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. It is really worth it to make something that fits and in a style that I like. And it takes such little yardage that I can make multiple muslins to get the fit right.

      Delete