Friday, January 15, 2016

Winter Whites - non-baggy White pants

Now that I have figured out how to make my pants not baggy at the back, I decided to draft a very fitted, elastic waist pants pattern from my newly tweaked Simplicity 1696 pattern. I took in the back thigh in more drastically and narrowed the pant leg below the knees. To make the muslin, I decided to use this white uncut corduroy fabric that I bought pre-kids. I bought it 8 years ago to make 'winter white' pants but never got around to it. It is a great fabric with about 1-2% stretch. I thought it would be a great weight for the muslin for future chinos or other corduroy pants.

So after a couple of days of sewing, seam ripping, pinning, unpinning, drafting, etc., I came up with this pattern:
I added back pockets to the pants too.
And I got this somewhat wearable muslin. I never tuck in my clothes but here is the unsightly tucked-in version to show the elastic waist area:
I had to make provisions for the lumps and bumps in the hip area.

And here is how I will actually wear them - untucked:

And this is how I will be wearing it tomorrow in an attempt to keep the winter white from the dirty snow and splashes on the streets:

Hopefully it doesn't get dirty the first day I wear this! I can't wait to make more fitted pants like this with other stash fabrics. So happy with my non-baggy pants pattern!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations you really have a great fitting pants pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! I'm just really enthusiastic about making pants now that I have 2 relatively successful pants pattern! :-)

      Delete
  2. They look great - and I bet they are comfortable, too. Win/win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I think the important thing for me is that they are super warm. The uncut corduroy is almost like velvet. It feels luxurious too!

      Delete
  3. You are certainly getting a pant shape that works for you. And I agree, we can show our fitting issues on our sewing blogs, but not in everyday life:) They look wonderful with the jumper over, and with the boots - your slim legs are one of your great assets and the white shows them off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! Once I have tweaked a pattern, I would go crazy and make too many garments in different fabrics with that pattern. I may end up with too many pairs of fitted pants by March! :-)

      Delete
  4. Great job - the "styled" photos look great and the elastic waist is your comfy secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I don't think I can go back to set in waistbands now! :-)

      Delete
  5. These look great! Love the colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I think I'll make another pair of red corduroy pants with this pattern.

      Delete