Friday, February 5, 2016

MAGAM Feb project - Refashion 2 Brocade cushion covers into a Brocade Jacket

My son is attending a Chinese New Year party tomorrow. A few days ago, he asked me to make him a Chinese Brocade Jacket because all the other kids will be wearing something like that. I thought it wouldn't be a problem since it should be pretty easy to find Chinese Brocade fabrics in fabric stores these days.

So a couple of days ago I went to my usual fabric store but they had only a couple of very feminine Chinese brocade fabric. They said they only stock them for x'mas but not for Chinese New Year (??). I even went to a few Asian malls in my town but they only have Chinese New Year garments for babies.

Just when I was panicking about what to do, I suddenly remembered that a relative gave me a pair of Chinese Brocade cushion covers from their trip to China. I was so happy to have thought about that! They had been sitting in the basement collecting dust for a few years. They were made with a teal, masculine looking brocade:

The cover was wide enough but not long enough. Thank goodness I have 2 of them. I had no pattern so I just decided to wing it. I researched briefly online the design of Chinese traditional jackets. They were all quite boxy. I just drew the design on a piece of paper and started cutting. I was quite fearful when cutting because I knew I have only just enough to make 1 jacket. I did make lots of rooky mistakes because I was rushing through it. I ended up having to do lots of hand sewing to cover up my mistakes. I 'sweatshopped' my way through and here is the result:

I didn't have enough for the facing, the collar and the binding of the sleeves. I used some scrap blue taffeta for that. I wish I could have fully lined the entire jacket but I ran out of time. I was hoping to do proper Chinese knot buttons for it too but the darn brocade just kept fraying when I was doing them. I decided to just add hooks and eyes for the jacket. Perhaps when I have time later I will try to find some satin in similar colour and make the knot buttons.

I'm just happy to have made a jacket for him for the party tomorrow! I hope he enjoys wearing it too!

7 comments:

  1. I think you did an amazing job and I give you a standing ovation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did an amazing job and I give you a standing ovation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dodo! I was quite stressed out about it. Thank goodness for the cushion covers in the basement!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was touch and go for a number of hours there, especially when I was making unnecessary mistakes along the way.

      Delete
  4. Great job - how lucky to have material on hand after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Yes I was so happy to have remembered having those cushion covers in the basement. Otherwise, my son would have been the only few who didn't have the festive clothing.

      Delete