Thursday, April 28, 2016

Clear bin Fabric Destash Challenge - 3rd garment FAIL!

I don't post all my sewing fails but this is really a Fail! My idea for this beige/tan wool gabardine was grand like the inspiration:
source
But look at what actually happened:

Horrid!
Horrid! Horrid!
I think the main problem is the ribbon trim that I used. I searched through my notions stash and found this thin ribbon. I thought it would look better than a plain black trim. How wrong I was! Eventually I had to admit defeat and used my trusty seam ripper to rip all the black trim out.

I really need to sleep on this to figure out what I should do. This colour is still not good for my skin tone. What else should I try to do to salvage this? Any ideas?

6 comments:

  1. Twill ribbon or unpick and add piping? I sometimes make things that won't suit me, finish and charity, feel like my time is less wasted that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think this as it was would just be too hideous for me to donate to charity! I wouldn't want to do that to someone else! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I still think your idea is worth pursuing with a chunkier braid - that ribbon is just too polyester and twee. Even cotton twill tape might work - the sort you use for bag handles. Or some suede trim or something - might be worth keeping an eye out for those sort of things. It may mean putting it aside for a while, until inspiration hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I'll just put it aside for a while and see what ideas come to me in a week.

      Delete
  3. If the khaki color isn't good on you, what about adding a black band at the neck and sleeves (about 1.5 inches wide) and then appliqué narrow strips of the same black as the trim on the seams? Or the piping idea would work as an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martina! I think I need to sew something else and then come back to this garment to get some fresh ideas.

      Delete