Tuesday, June 7, 2016

MAGAM Joyful June Refashion: Purple silk XL tunic to Dress

I thrifted this purple silk XL tunic 2 years ago at my local thrift store. I was going through a 'silk or cashmere' phase and I acquired lots of silk shirts and tunics for refashioning. I thought it would be perfect for the Make A Garment A Month Joyful June theme.


As seen in the photo, it was loose and long but not long enough for a dress. The neckline was too wide as well. The sleeves were too long and wide.

First I narrowed the body quite a bit to make it breezy but not too loose. I cut off quite a few inches off the sleeves to make it a cap sleeve dress. I wanted to add a band to the bottom to make a loose pullover dress to wear in the summer. I looked through my scraps box and found this band of leftover wine colour knit. I had just enough to make a narrow band for the bottom hem.

As for the neckline, I just made a small 3cm box pleat in the centre front  for about 3 inches to narrow the neckline a little bit. And this is the result:
I should have ironed the dress before taking the picture!

I quite like the look because it looks like those vintage dresses. If I had to make it more fitted, I guess I can wear a thin belt:


What do you think? Belt or no belt for this dress?

6 comments:

  1. You must have some great Thrift stores where you live. This is just such a fantastic looking fabric. The after is lovely, and I think no belt - it's a drapey line, and the tunic shape over a narrow skirt looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The 2 thrift stores that I go to have significantly increased their prices this year. So I have not had much luck with thrifting this year so far. Good thing I had accumulated lots on my to-be-refashioned pile. I have lots of items still waiting for refashioning!

      Delete
  2. Great refashion! I love the front pleats and I am with Sarah Liz, no belt looks better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love what you did with this! It's a beautiful dress! And thank you for the idea for drawing in the neckline. I have this problem quite a bit so it's helpful to see how you made the pleat. I've thought about doing the same but I wasn't picturing it as long as you have shown. The longer pleat will make a big difference in the garments I have in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I would love an update of your refashioned garment!

      Delete