Friday, December 30, 2016

Last Sewing Project for 2016

The year is coming to a close. I managed to squeeze another sewing/refashioning project before New Year's Eve. This is a very well made, good quality jacket that I thrifted a couple of years ago. It's a beautiful true red, cashmere blend jacket, made in Canada in the 1990s. The fabric is really soft and extremely warm. I wore it in the office with layers underneath and I was sweating profusely.

The super broad shoulders and the crop length made my body look even more top heavy than it already was. The sleeves were too long also. A Refashion/Alteration was in order.


I watched a video of Angela Wolf narrowing a jacket's shoulder seam and I thought I could try that with this jacket. There is a very good tutorial at this blog: https://sewfordough.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/altering-the-shoulders-on-a-jacket/. So this was my plan to alter the jacket:


I opened up the lining seam and found that the jacket was indeed very well made. It has custom shoulder pads and proper sleeve heads:

First I took out the very wide shoulder pads. Then I tried on the jacket and basted the new shoulder seam. And eventually I sewed and steamed the new shoulder seams in place.  Then I chopped off the sleeves and made them 3/4 sleeves. And here is the resulting garment:

I think it now looks better for my proportions. I'm happy to have a better fitting, warm and colourful jacket for the cold months!

Now I need to dig into my to-be-Refashioned pile and see what I can fix/refashion next!

8 comments:

  1. Looks much better, and able to be used as a smart casual jacket, which I think would suit your lifestyle now. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! I'll wear it out tomorrow and see how it performs 'on the road'.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful colour! You did a wonderful job of re-working. Looks so nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I'm looking forward to wearing this warm jacket often this winter. Happy New Year to you and your family!!

      Delete
  3. Such a super cute jacket after the re-fashion!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I think it's definitely more suited my body now.

      Delete