Thursday, April 6, 2017

Trying something NEW - Making a Bra!

I  have made many different garments for myself and my family/friends over the years. There were some 'firsts' that I were really proud of: welt pockets, men's coat, swimsuits, underwear, etc. The one thing that I had always wanted to make but was always intimidated by: making a bra for myself.
I had researched on and off on the web regarding how to make well-fitting bras. However, each post I read about bra making, it seemed to require ordering special bra patterns, special (and usually expensive) bra making fabrics and notions. Since I already have well fitting RTW bras, I didn't want to invest too much into making something that might not fit.

What a lucky coincidence that I found this very vintage, 1970 bra making pattern at my local thrift store:

These 2 uncut, pristine patterns together cost me $1.99. Sew Lovely Lingerie patterns don't exist anymore. And their fabric requirements printed on the pattern envelope were difficult to translate into modern man made fabrics. I have found some useful info online from others who have bought these patterns too.  However, I haven't found anyone who has actually sewn with these patterns yet.

So this will be my April MAGAM (Make a garment a month) project. I'm going to attempt the bra only as I have already drafted well fitting panties pattern for myself. If all goes well, perhaps I will look into investing in some proper bra making fabrics and notions. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. It's probably no wonder that a good bra costs so much, when the materials are expensive. I find it very hard to get a good fit in ready to wear for everything, but while I have sewn from scratch and also altered RTW for outer garments, I don't know that I would ever attempt this. Good luck! I have a feeling you will succeed, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I hope I can achieve a good fit at least in the cup area and the front band. Without the proper bra straps I don't know how good the complete bra would be.

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty classic bra shape. I'll be making a bra too for the April MAGAM. I haven't posted yet. It is a very different sewing language and not easy to get what you need, although in Canada you do have Bra Maker's Supplies (I think that is what it is called), which is very good. Like you, I have bras that fit, but I want to make some more for the creative challenge than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! Your blog post about your first bra was what really inspired me to take the plunge and try sewing a bra! I hope it will work out. But even if it doesn't, it can perhaps make a nice fitting enough sports bra!

      Delete