Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Refashion: Women skirt to Girl Jeans

My daughter has all of a sudden shot up almost 5cm in height this past month. So I needed to make her some new pants for school and play.

I thrifted these 2 women long jean skirts at my local thrift store for $5 each. One of those skirts had a stain on it but I can easily cover it with some applique. The reason I like using 2nd hand denim is that they have already been washed, shrinken, broken in. The fabric is soft and durable at the same time - excellent for kids' clothes:


I used one of my daughter's current too-short pants as a guide and made a pair of jeans that is longer
and wider.


I also used some remnant red linen fabric from my previous project to make a heart-shaped applique for the side pocket. Since the serger was already threaded with red threads from the last project, I simply cut a pocket shape from the jean skirt and serged the edge in red.

The length of the jeans skirt was just a tad bit short of the side length I wanted for my daughter. So I cut a piece of remnant red knit, encased a piece of elastic inside it and serged the whole thing to the top of the pants as the waistband.

I hope my daughter likes it! If so I'll cut the other jean skirt and make another pair of mama-made pants for her. There are still lots of remnants from that first skirt that I can make lots of accessories!

2 comments:

  1. Good use of the existing seams and hems. I love used clothing for the reasons you gave - pre-shrunk and softer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. I was caught off guard by my daughter's sudden growth spurt. I need to make a few more pairs of pants for her. Time to dig into my massive fabric stash!

      Delete