Tuesday, May 1, 2018

I attended my daughter's birthday party

This past weekend, I attended my daughter's birthday party at an indoor playground. I missed my son's party because I was in the hospital, so I was determined to get myself well enough to attend my daughter's party. Since I was so weak for so many days after the 2nd round of chemo, I really wasn't sure if I was going to make it.

The 2 days before the party, I made sure I ate and drank a lot, rest as much as I could and not get stressed out or rush around. On the day of the party, I rested in my bed until it was time to go to the party. I had a great time mingling with the other parents, and watching the kids having fun. Everything was going great until the 2.5 hour mark when I suddenly felt unwell. Luckily, my brother was able to drive me home quickly. But I did it! I consider it a small win out of this long journey of cancer/treatment, etc.

I think I will just continue to take these little wins each week to keep me focusing on the positive things in this journey. I'm going to have Immunotherapy tomorrow and I hope I won't get too ill from it. It is supposed to be less harsh on the body than chemotherapy. But knowing me, I'll get all sorts of uncommon side effects (e.g. vomiting, extreme shortness of breath, etc) that the nurses won't be expecting. I have prepared a list for tomorrow so that the nurses will have precautions on hand for me.

4 comments:

  1. So happy you got to enjoy the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It just felt great to feel a bit more normal, just as a parent at a kids' birthday party for 2.5 hours.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you could go! The little things are big things when they are suddenly not a sure thing. Good luck tomorrow, Nicky! You sound as prepared as anyone could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! Yes Cancer does change priority of things in life.

      Delete